A young family of three, was killed by smoke inhalation after a fire swept through their rented apartment in January in Garden City, KS. A 1998 state law demands all landlords install working smoke detectors when they rent out a property. This property had no smoke detectors installed.
“I think this is a travesty,” said Savoy’s attorney David Rebein. “I think its a very simple thing to say, in Kansas rental properties ought to be safe.”
Garden City doesn’t enforce the state law. While inspections are routinely conducted on commercial businesses, rental properties are not inspected by city officials.